Did you ever wonder what is like to be an actress? No, not a Hollywood movie star, just one of the remaining 90% of the players... Here, you're gonna find the answer! Welcome to my life, Umberta, actress not (yet) a star!


Translate

Find your favorite posts

10.10.2016

Atomium, Bruxelles

Atomium, Bruxelles

A couple of days ago we went to Liège, Belgium for my brilliant brother in law Ph.D.

I didn't plan on writing a post about this trip, as we went there very quickly, and I thought we would have just gone to the university to listen to his Ph.D. thesis & spent some time with the family.


Ph.D.

Which we actually did. But the day after the Ph.D. thesis & the celebration party, we went to Brussels.

I must admit Brussels is not a city I particularly like (what do you think about it?), but we went to a place I've never heard of before & I found quite amusing: the Atomium.


Atomium, Bruxelles

Atomium, Bruxelles

The Atomium is a monument built for the 1958 World's Fair, that represents the cell of an iron crystal, magnified 165 billion times.

It's quite impressive &  its construction was a technical exploit, as you can imagine by looking at the pictures taken during the construction works.


Atomium, Bruxelles

Speaking of that, 6 of the 9 spheres are open to the public; the highest offers a beautiful 360° view over Bruxelles.


View over Bruxelles from the Atomium

View over Bruxelles from the Atomium

View over Bruxelles from the Atomium
In the other ones, you can enjoy a permanent exhibition on the design & the construction of the monument, as well as a temporary exhibition. 

During our visit, the temporary exhibition was "Talk", a sounds & lights experience from the collective of artists Visual System. It was a futuristic exhibition, which I found suited the place really well.



"Talk" a temporary sounds and lights exhibition at the Atomium in Bruxelles

"Talk" a temporary sounds and lights exhibition at the Atomium in Bruxelles

"Talk" a temporary sounds and lights exhibition at the Atomium in Bruxelles

"Talk" a temporary sounds and lights exhibition at the Atomium in Bruxelles

In the central tube, the lift taking the visitors up to the highest sphere was the faster lift never constructed at the time of the World's Fair in 1958.

There is also a sphere for children, where groups of children can spend the night sleeping in circular beds in little spheres & looking at the stars. No need to say, I was very jealous of that!

At least, we were able to play like children outside the Atomium...

Atomium, Bruxelles

Atomium, Bruxelles

Atomium, Bruxelles


Atomium, Bruxelles

Carrying the Atomium's weight on our little shoulders was quite tiring though... So we decided to go to Bruxelles' main square to have a drink in the sun & possibly a chocolate waffle, I mean, we were in Belgium after all, could I possibly leave the country without having had a waffle?! ;p

Brussels' Main Square

Brussels' Main Square

The place was particularly beautiful shining in the sun...

Brussels' Main Square

Brussels' Main Square

Brussels' Main Square

We sat in a cafe, chatting, admiring the buildings surrounding us & enjoying the last moments spent with the family.

Brussels' Main Square

Brussels' Main Square

Soon enough, it was time to take the road back home. But not before having had my chocolate waffle!! :D

10 comments:

  1. I've never been to Bruxelles, only the southern part of Belgium. That structure looks awesome, I like the concept and any kind of view has me sold. I think the old town looks pretty, too, and if there's any mention of chocolate I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to the southern part of Belgium ;) Yep, the Atomium in Bruxelles was really nice & chocolate in Belgium is everywhere ;)

      Delete
  2. I wasn't too impressed by Brussels. I loved the chocolate shops and the waffles. And I totally enjoyed my visit of the Atomium:)#city tripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Bruxelles doesn't impress me much, but the Atomium was great! And waffle is always a good idea!

      Delete
  3. I last went to Atomium on a schooltrip in the seventies, maybe time for a revisit!
    #citytripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eheh I don't if the place changed that much from the 70s though ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow - I never realised you could actually go in to the spheres. Somehow every time I've been to Brussels, I've missed Atomium (in fact, I hadn't realised it was quite that old) so I'd love to visit, but I'm adding the views to my list too. Thanks for linking up with #citytripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's very fun to go up in the spheres, I really liked the place! But honestly, I've been to Bruxelles before, but never heard of it before!

      Delete
  5. The Atomium looks very impressive. I'd love to gaze up at the stars in one of those spheres! I haven't been to Brussels but the Gothic style architecture is very striking. #citytripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they should organize night out in the Atomium for adults too & not only for children ;))

      Delete

AddThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...